Friday 2 March 2012

Why students drop-out from University
In this country we have a major problem of students dropping out from tertiary level which that result to high unemployment rate. Most students are given opportunities to advance their studies and what they do they play school.  South Africa is the most privileged country in terms of bursaries and financial loans to help students in their studies to have a better education and be the heroes of this country. In some cases student fail their first semester in University because they did not control their first freedom of being in University as they say. Most of student’s dropout because they lack financial support at home however they have to work to support their families. In the Eastern Cape Universities, students dropout because of scarcity of resources to excel in their studies and also high rate pregnancy.  In big cities like Cape Town, Johannesburg and Durban students drop out because of peer pressure and lack of support from friends. 
My friend Bongani was studying LLB 2ND year in the University of Western Cape he said. ” I chose to drop out my 2nd year because it was taking my whole attention and leave me with no time and I had to meet with the standard of my friends to fit in the  group, which the standard says I must work so that I can have money to contribute each weekend when we go out.” This is not the reason that a person can drop-out school because even the job that Bongani get was not a permanent job he will be fired anytime what is going to happen to him?? I think people should think clearly and focus on their future. Also others drop-out because they don’t make time to study and being expelled from the university. The reason of drop-out is that students of today like to have high life and they compare with others which make them quit University and work to maintain the high life they want.

No comments:

Post a Comment